Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Dr. Jeff Baker Nominated for Man of the Year by the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society

Dear Friends and Colleagues,


I am a person who believes in giving back and this year I wanted to do something big. Today I launch my campaign for the Man & Woman of the Year, a fundraising effort of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. The mission, to cure blood cancer and improve life for patients and their families.


I have built a connection to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society over the past several years due to my friendship with Mike Odisho. His father passed away from Leukemia in 1998. Mike has given his heart and soul to this cause over the years and I was honored when as member of the Man & Woman of the Year nominating committee, he nominated me.


I am excited to announce that my challenge to raise $10,000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. My campaign starts today and lasts for the next 10 weeks. The money I raise will help find cures for blood cancers and improve the quality of life for patients and their families. I am viewing this challenge as way to honor all who have been affected by cancer. Given their struggles, it is the least I can do.
Why LLS? Because it’s the world’s largest voluntary health organization dedicated to fighting blood cancer and I want to help fight cancer. The Man & Woman of the Year campaign is in its tenth year and maintains an exceptional cost/income ratio – over 86 cents of each dollar nationally directly funds the mission.


I’m also participating in honor of the Girl of the Year, Rachel Williams. Rachel is a 6- year-old who has recently finished two and a half years of chemotherapy, spinal taps, and bone marrow testing. She is now in a “wait and see period” to find out if the treatments worked. Rachel loves to participate in cheerleading, horseback riding, gymnastics, and school. Meeting Rachel and hearing her story really affected me. Her mom spoke of how this journey started, fatigue and weakness initally diagnosed as mono. Rachel is a sparkplug of hope and determination. Meeting and talking with her was an experience I will never forget. She was so full of life, something we all take for granted everyday. I want to help make sure all children affected by blood cancer are able to have a happy, healthy and fun-filled childhood. I hope you can help me with that vision.


Here is how the Man & Woman of the Year campaign works: I am a candidate. You “vote” for me by donating to my campaign. If I receive the most votes (dollars), I will be named the 2010 Man of the Year. You will then see my picture on taxi rooftop ads in Chicago. If you are really generous I may become the national winner and be featured in USA Today.


There are a variety of ways in which you can contribute to my campaign, and to cures for cancer. Any donations will be a great help towards the mission. Here are some options:


¨ Donate online at http://il.mwoy.llsevent.org/jbaker. You will be directed to a secure site to make your donation.
¨ Attend my future fundraising events. Information on these events will be available soon.
¨ Send a check, made payable to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Be sure to put my name in the memo line and send to LLS at 651 W. Washington Blvd., Suite 400 Chicago, IL 60661
¨ Corporate sponsorship
¨ Send my website to your friends; http://il.mwoy.llsevent.org/jbaker.
¨ Donate an item for my silent auction (time shares, sports tickets, airline miles)

Remember, 86% of each donation raised nationally will directly fund the mission of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Thank you so much for your support of me and The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

Jeff Baker, DPM, FACFAS

No comments: